Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Blue, Orange and You – Why I Give

Jim Browning

Jim Browning Professor Electrical and Computer Engineering

Blue, Orange and You! Boise State Campus Giving Campaign Faculty, Staff and Emeriti Giving Program

As an undergraduate in engineering, scholarships were critical to my education. So, when I came to Boise State, I decided to do what I could to help address this great need among our students.

That’s why I established the Francis and Hermine Browing Electrical Engineering Scholarship in honor of my parents. I was the only child in our family to finish college, and my parents were very supportive over the many years it takes to get a PhD. I felt that the scholarship would honor the support and help they provided over those years. And luckily, I was able to take advantage of the matching funds Boise State provides to faculty and staff who establish named endowed scholarships at the level of $12,500 or higher.

Because of my own experiences and since I can help, I feel strongly about supporting scholarships at Boise State. I like knowing that I’ve helped top students have opportunities that they might not otherwise enjoy.

I hope that sharing my story will encourage others to contribute to scholarships to ease the financial burden, if only a little, on our students. I know employees at Boise State already contribute so much to the success of our students that goes beyond their job. But I think people need to view giving in support of scholarships as a direct way help to students who may be struggling.

Please join me in supporting the Blue, Orange and You campus giving campaign.

Did You Know?
Boise State faculty and staff members may establish an endowed scholarship at one-half of the minimum commitments and may make their pledge payments through payroll deduction. Usually, an endowed scholarship requires a minimum of $25 thousand. For faculty and staff, for a limited time, $1 million is available as matching funds for individual donors who establish Presidential and Dean’s Endowed Scholarships or any endowed scholarship funds at the minimum level of $12,500 or higher. Contact University Advancement for more information. (208) 426-3276.